Monday, June 30, 2014

Interesting dates, stories and prayers 2

June 30th--

Charles Blondin was a French tightrope walker. On this day in 1859 he first walked across the great Niagara Falls on a tightrope that was 335 meters long (1100 feet), and 160 feet above the waterfall. With a balancing pole, Charles Blondin walked across in only five minutes. He then crossed back again, blindfolded.

Next he walked across pushing a wheelbarrow. When he got to the other side with the wheelbarrow he was congratulated, and one man said to him: "That's superb! Wonderful!" Blondin said to him: "Do you believe I can walk back again with the wheelbarrow?"  "Yes," said the man in great admiration. "Do you believe I can walk back across the tightrope with someone in that wheelbarrow?" Again the man said, "Yes, you can do it." Then Blondin asked him: "Will you get into the wheelbarrow?"-but the man refused!

The man believed firmly that Blondin could take a person back across the tightrope in the wheelbarrow. Believing it wasn't enough, because there's a difference between "belief" (head knowledge) and "faith" (trust based on experience). He didn't have the personal faith to trust and place himself completely in Blondin's hands.

**Prayer:
Lord, may I become more aware of your presence in my life.
May I discover that you do walk with me each day of my life, accompanying me in darkness as well as light, in sadness as well as joy.
May your spirit lead me to trust and come to know that you keep your word and are always faithful and loving.
I place myself and my future into your hands. Amen.

(prayeachday.org)


No comments:

Post a Comment